There are tons of background apps running on your Windows 10 laptop that you might not know. These background apps occupy resources in system RAM and significantly reduce the overall performance. It also reduces a lot of FPS while gaming. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to disable background apps & startup apps and improve Windows 10 performance.
You can view running background apps on the task manager. To do so, just press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and it will pop up task manager along with background apps in the Processes tab. Moreover, select the Startup tab to view apps that start automatically when you boot your PC along with their impact on your computer.
How to stop background apps in Windows 10
Windows 10 has enabled background apps by default. These apps run in the background, receive info, send notifications, and update automatically, even when you’re not using them. Turning off the background apps may save your battery consumption and reduce the workload on your system.
Follow the given instructions to disable the background apps in Windows 10:
- Open the Windows start menu and click on the Setting icon on the left.
- Then, click on the Privacy tab from the settings UI.
- Click on the Background Apps menu on the left sidebar.
- Lastly, you can choose apps one by one or select the Let apps run in the background option to disable all the background apps at once.
Quick tip: You can leave some essential apps to run in the background, such as Windows Security, etc.
How to disable Startup apps in Windows 10
Some applications automatically start running in the background as you boot your Windows operating system, these apps are called ‘Startup apps’. Some startup apps like audio services or Windows security must be turned on for the laptop’s speaker to work when you boot your PC. However, there are some unusual apps you may not want to run at startup. Here’s how you can easily disable startup apps in Windows 10:
- Click on the Settings icon from the Windows start menu.
- Next, click on the Apps tab.
- Select the Startup section on the left side.
- Under Startup Apps, just toggle the switch to enable or disable the startup apps.
Alternatively, you can disable startup apps from the Windows 10 task manager. To do so, just press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and go to the Startup tab. Now, right-click on each app and choose the disable option.
Both background apps and startup apps have a direct impact on your laptop/desktop performance. You can disable background apps & startup apps to achieve maximum Windows 10 performance and reduce gaming FPS. Here are more articles and tutorials on Windows 10 you may like.